January 2, 2013

Organizing Revolution: Week 1 DONE!

Office/Desk
Technically we don’t have an office anymore as we gave that room up for our first baby six years ago.  We do, however, have “office supplies” scattered everywhere throughout the house and our desk tucked away in the basement. 
For this week’s project, I’m working solely on organizing our desk.  Being in the basement, I guess we thought out of sight, out of mind…right?  WRONG!  I am so happy I found this Organizing Revolution to help get me off the chaos train because that oversized desk always has mountains of junk on it.  The sad thing is we hardly ever really use the desk.  Occasionally one of the girls will use the computer, though more often they use the desk to make scribbles notes for everyone and anyone. 
I honestly didn’t know if I was going to get this week’s task accomplished beings that the week is half over already, school just started back up today, and Mr. Chaos had to go back to work as well.   I found myself wanting to go organize my desk instead of spending the kids’ naptime checking email and Pinterest.  Drumroll, please…
Desk Before&After
Look you can see most of the wood top!  I should be feeling on top of the world because this is a HUGE accomplishment for me.  But I’m not.  I’m feeling like I should have done more because off to the right of this picture is our file cabinet, which holds the printer.  I didn’t get a picture of it, however, I want to come clean.  The stack of papers on there were from the bills that had been paid all the way back to April!!  I don’t know why I keep the invoice thingy that doesn’t get sent back with bill when it just ends up in a heap.  For real.  So now I have a very large stack of papers next to the trash/shredder so that I can work on shredding papers over the next few days.  I don’t know how much shredding my shredder can handle at one time.  I’m also going to take a proactive approach and just start shredding things weekly, or at least 2-3 times a month!
I then made time to organize the “phone book nook” area of our kitchen while dinner was cooking.  When we moved in to our home, there was this little built in that we’ve used to store some office-type supplies in.  Stamps, scratch paper, pens, and anything else that happened to land there.  Drumroll, please…
Office Supplies Before & After
Notice the little black desk organizer in the after picture?  I stole it from the desk to use in the phone book nook.  The round spinny one just wasn’t working for me.  I’m not sure if I like the desk organizer either.  To me, it seems more cluttered.
So yeah.  This is my organizing revolution for week 1.  What do you think so far?  I’m beyond excited to see what this month brings for me organization-wise.  While I had my camera out today, I went around the basement snapping more pictures of things that need to be organized.  My oldest daughter has decided to move to the basement bedroom so I have to work on clearing out that room and closet.  It’s our guest room, but it’s also our quick stow-it there until we need to use the room for guests again.
Did you join the Organization Revolution?  If so, how did you do this week?

A Bowl Full of Lemons

1 comment:

  1. Hello there & welcome to blogging!

    I found you from the Organizing Challenge. Looks like you're off to a great start. :-)

    ReplyDelete

#40by40 Check In #5

Honestly I have no idea how his happened after the week I had last week. I felt like I had a terrible, no good week.  My choices were not t...