January 1, 2015

Completely Unexpected

As mentioned in my last post, Maisyn was born on Wednesday, December 10.  Prior to having her, my plan was to spend at least two nights in the hospital.  Turns out that my being gone just the one day was pure torture on my little guy, Bode.  He just cried when they came to visit me and meet their little sister.  When it was time for the kids to go home with Grandma, the tears would not stop.  Once they left for the night, I decided that Maisyn and I could go home the next day.

My doctor had come in early Thursday morning and I reminded her that I wanted to go ahead with the postpartum tubal ligation once I was released.  She had her team make the arrangements so I could have the procedure done the next day (Friday).  Once everything was settled, I took a shower so I could get my things packed and ready so Maisyn and I could go home later that day.  After my shower, I ordered lunch while Mr. Chaotic and his mom went to have lunch in the cafeteria.  Bode stayed with me as he wasn’t leaving my side. 

9

Maisyn’s nurse came to get her so they could do her discharge assessment.  I ate my lunch, finished packing our things, and then went over our discharge papers with my nurse.  After she left, hubby, his mom, Bode, & I waited for Maisyn to come back so we could go home.

Rather than bringing Maisyn back to us, the pediatric hospitalist came to talk to us.  We learned that Maisyn’s oxygen levels were low and they needed to monitor her levels a bit longer and take some blood to check her levels.  She wouldn’t be able to go home that day because she needed to be monitored overnight.  I decided if Maisyn was staying another night, I was too. 

What seemed like an eternity later, the hospitalist lady came back and told us that they would have to admit Maisyn to the NICU for at least three days because her oxygen levels weren't staying where they were supposed to and her infection levels were elevated.  That’s when the tears started for me as I’ve never experienced the NICU before. 

A NICU nurse had come over to the regular nursery to work with Maisyn.  She brought her to my room so we could have a few moments with her before she was carted off to the NICU.  The nurse explained that we could come down to the NICU to visit if we gave her about 15 minutes to get Maisyn admitted.

Through all of my tears I then decided that since Maisyn was going to be spending her time in the NICU and not in my room, I could just go home.  Bode really missed me and wanted me back home.  I was also having my surgery the next day so I thought it would be best. Grandma had went to get the girls from school and brought them back so they helped gather my things while we waited to go to the NICU.  Grandma and the kids hung around in my room while Mr. Chaotic and I went to the NICU to see Maisyn and visit with the nurse.

Upon arriving at the NICU, we realized we had to “scrub in” to get inside.  We had no clue what to do so were lucky when there was a housekeeping lady outside the NICU.  She kindly explained to us that we had to take a special pack that had a scrub brush with soap built in and use that to scrub from fingertips to elbows for three minutes.  When we were done, we were to ring the buzzer and the nurses would let us in. 

…to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment

#40by40 Check In #5

Honestly I have no idea how his happened after the week I had last week. I felt like I had a terrible, no good week.  My choices were not t...