September 22, 2014

Recent Doctor’s Appointment

So I had my 28-week doctor’s appointment today, even though I’m 2 days away from 28-weeks.  I wasn’t really looking forward to it because I knew it was my glucose test.  I also know that I’ve been drinking/eating sugar like crazy so I thought my odds weren’t in my favor.  Add on top of that, the stress of bringing my almost 3-year old with me at the last minute and I guess that means my stress levels were high.

First thing the nurse did was make me drink my sugary orange drink.  I swear they made the bottles bigger! 

01ff7666f42ac120c052195e3d94a9a8e366ddac71

Next thing she did was take my blood pressure.  It came back high at 142/86.  I’ve never had an issue before so the doctor thinks it’s just a fluke reading, however, she wants to make sure I’m not developing preeclampsia and is having me do a 24-hour urine sample.  She also added on a couple of more lab tests since I already had to go for my glucose test. 

While waiting so patiently for my hour to be up to do the blood work today, our clinic offers a class called Healthy Beginnings.  Basically it’s a nurse that talks to you about your pregnancy, labor, & delivery.  The nurse also gives out goodie bags from the different formula companies as well.  Today I may have hit the formula jackpot!  I received two small cans of Enfamil Newborn; a cooler bag with breastfeeding information, an icepack & breastmilk collection bottles, along with a soft touch book for baby; and the adorable turquoise & brown keepsake box filled with ready-to-feed formula and a blow-up boppy type pillow.  The nurse also gave me some travel packets of formula that remind me of Crystal Light, only much larger.  The pink folder is just some paperwork for me to go through and fill out (admittance info & birth plan), along with some pregnancy & parenting magazines.  She was so nice & stuffed it all inside a reusable tote bag!

01d5baf1bcc8211318185fc5e59ba87e427eecaa3a

0100434ffcca3636423d8452373eb61d1ad34d49c1

01555ba1dfab528997567ee359de9cd7a22e70d7b0

I looked pretty crazy walking with my overstuffed bagful of goodies and my toddler not far behind me.  I made my way to the lab and gave a couple tubes of blood and a urine sample.  I was finally able to leave the doctor’s office, but not without my brown grocery bag filled with my 24-hour urine supplies.

The nurse from my doctor’s office called and said all of my labs came back normal today (yay! no gestational diabetes!).  There was one thing that was mentioned to me though that I have a low blood platelet count.  Mine was 131 and she said the low end of normal is 150.  Then she throws in there not to worry and that they will recheck my count at 36 weeks.

I’m not too worried as I remember the anesthesiologist telling me I had a low blood platelet count before he gave me my epidural when I delivered Bode three years ago.  Though, I will be honest I have googled it and it makes me nervous.  Cancer is the first thing that pops up, but it does also say that pregnancy can cause it as well.  So no more worrying until they tell me I should!

Talk to Me:
Do you Google medical stuff to self-diagnose, only to wish you hadn’t?

Does your clinic offer samples like mine that make you feel like you’ve hit the jackpot?

3 comments:

  1. That is a lot of loot! You lucky duck! And it sure does look like the sugary drink got larger....boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was pretty lucky huh! And the nurse said the orange sugary drink did get taller, but also narrower. ;)

      Delete
  2. well that's what it is! Tall and narrow, lol!

    ReplyDelete

#40by40 Check In #5

Honestly I have no idea how his happened after the week I had last week. I felt like I had a terrible, no good week.  My choices were not t...