September 8, 2014

Back To School

I was really nervous for Kinley to start Kindergarten this year as she’s always been my more clingy child.  We put her through preschool last year hoping that it would help her transition to Kindergarten better.  Well, it didn’t.

Our morning started out great.  Everybody actually woke up on time and seemed to be in an overall good mood.  We walked to school with the neighbors and as we arrived, the kids were greeted (half a block away) with the local radio station blasting it’s music trying to get kids pumped for the first day of school.  When we got to the school, they had rolled out the red carpet and had balloons lining the sidewalks for the kids.  They had each child stop to take a picture with their ‘first day of school’ frames.  Such a fun first back to school morning. 

1st Day of School 2014

Once the fun was over, it was time to tell Kinley we’d see her after school.  That’s when the tears started.  She was hoping I could stay at school with her.  Luckily, her big sister, Talyn, and the neighbor girl, Alexa, were able to help Kinley find her way to her classroom before they had to head to their classroom.  I really wanted to be the one to help her like I did with Talyn back in Kindergarten, however, the school installed a new set of doors that parents aren’t allowed through unless they sign in as a visitor.  Anyways, we cried.  She was just sad because she was going to miss her mommy all day.  I was just sad because she was.

The principal called that afternoon to let me know that Kinley had been having a bit of a rough morning and spent most of it crying.  Talk about breaking my heart.  She also told me that Kinley had lost her tooth while on the playground.  I thought for sure that would have made her happy as she had been hoping to lose it at school.  When we went to the open house, her teacher had seen her wiggly tooth and mentioned they have a tooth chart to put their names on when they lose their teeth.  It was something Kinley was looking forward to.

018c0c4c8146f9f852141b4e76d81d99bfe8dbc32d

I went to pick the kids up from school and I asked how everything went.  Talyn & Alexa said good, except that every time they saw Kinley during the day, she was crying.  I asked Kinley why and she just said she missed me.  Talk about breaking a mom’s heart!

Everyday since, Kinley has cried.  Each day it’s becoming less and less.  It’s breaking my heart but I know she is loving school.  She can’t stop talking about school – they did this, this, or that; so-and-so can do such and such; etc.  She is full of stories and smiles when she tells me about her day.  Yet each time I ask why she cries at school, she says she just misses me.

How do I make school easier for her?  She refuses to play on the playground, rather she just stands there with the playground aide and calls herself her assistant.  I’m not sure how talkative she is to the other kids at lunch or in her classroom.  I just know that the tiniest thing sets her off into a frenzy (like when she couldn’t find her orange that she had brought for snack).  Rather than using her words, she starts having a meltdown.  So frustrating!!

That’s it in a nutshell – we’re back to school & Kinley hates it.  Talyn on the other hand is loving it, which makes me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#40by40 Check In #5

Honestly I have no idea how his happened after the week I had last week. I felt like I had a terrible, no good week.  My choices were not t...